Maryland Inclusive Housing Corporation’s mission is to help people with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) successfully access and maintain inclusive, affordable, and accessible housing of their choice by creating opportunities, identifying resources, connecting people, and providing services.
Three Main Goals:
- To facilitate the creation of housing committees in regions or counties throughout the state
- To employ Community Living Coordinators who would work as housing case managers for individuals who are receiving DDA services or are on the DDA waiting list
- To be a housing information clearing house for DDA, for individuals with IDD and their families and for CCS workers and service providers.
At the request of Bernie Simons, Deputy Secretary of the Maryland Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA), in January 2018, the Maryland Supported Living Advisory Committee was formed. A year later in December 2018, the Committee produced a report for Mr. Simons with a recommendation to form a new nonprofit organization to advance affordable and accessible housing, separately owned from services. Mr. Simons accepted this recommendation and asked the Committee to implement this and other recommendations. Maryland Inclusive Housing Corporation is a result of this work.
Our Core Values
Person Centered | Knowledgeable | Reliable & Trustworthy | Innovative | Respectful
- Person Centered – Respect people as they are, without judgment; presume competence, have high expectations, and recognize each person’s choices, talents, and values.
- Knowledgeable – MIH understands state and local affordable and accessible housing resources and is committed to using those resources to help people.
- Reliable & Trustworthy - Provide accurate relevant and timely information to people with IDD, their families, and other stakeholders and facilitate informed choice. Provide resources which make sense for the individual.
- Innovative - Pursue new housing resources, partnerships and approaches utilizing an open mind, active listening, and a futuristic outlook. Have a curious mind, pursuing partnerships and novel ideas. Be nimble, flexible, and open to change.
- Respectful - Treat all people with respect, honor dignity of risk, and an individual’s authority to make their own life decisions. Honor choice/decisions and a person’s authority over their own life.
- We build strong partnerships
- We Educate and Advocate
- We create Inclusive Communities
- Build strong partnerships. MIH actively works to build partnerships with people with IDD, families, relevant state partners, affordable housing advocacy groups, self-advocacy groups, service providers, developers, expand typical partnerships and find ways to collaborate and share resources to strengthen systems.
- Educate and Advocate. MIH educates people with IDD and their families, service providers, and developers about how to create and access affordable, inclusive, and accessible housing. MIH will provide training to professionals in this evolving area of work. MIH will advocate for additional resources to support more affordable, accessible housing and more housing support services.
- Create Inclusive Communities. Through education, advocacy, partnerships and support services, MIH promotes communities where people with and without disabilities live together and where people with IDD are active participants in their communities. Inclusive Communities are defined by considering separation of ownership and services, density of people with disabilities living together and access to services.
MIH is developing a Strategic Plan
MIH has engaged the Center for Leadership and Innovation to help us develop a strategic plan to ensure that as we expand and grow our company we are aligned with our mission and vision. This strategic plan will help us define our direction for the next few years.